Konkola Copper Mines plc aims to be a world-leading producer and supplier of Copper and the by-products; Cobalt alloy and Sulphuric acid, and intermediate products: concentrates of Copper, Cobalt, Pyrite and Copper anodes of quality, to meet the contractual requirements of all customers in every respect and to restore and sustain profitability in the operations.
It also aims to maintain a system that complies with the requirements of OHSAS 18001 – Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems, ISO 14001 – Environmental Management System and ISO 9001 – Quality Management System and to continually improve the effectiveness by regular reviews of the systems Konkola Copper Mines plc will uphold the values of good corporate citizenship and seek to contribute to the wider economic, social and environmental well being of Zambia.
In order to give practical expression to the Vision of the company and to measure its progress, the company has the following aims and objectives:
- Achieve Zero Fatality and Zero Lost Time Injuries (LTIs) status through continuation of Near miss capturing and closure management and RAMP. K for all critical jobs
- Benchmark our Safety Management Systems against international best practice
- Identify, eliminate or control safety risks in the workplace and the environment
- Identifying training needs and fulfillment of scheduled training programs to ensure all jobs are performed by qualified and competent personnel
- Ensure compliance to all relevant Mining and Explosives Regulations and all KCM safe operating procedures, rules, through identification and implementation of all relevant legal and domestic standards/directives
- Ensure continuous Sustainability of the OHSAS 18001 standard and attain a five star certification from the current three stars rating at all IBUs
- Enhance Incident and Accident Investigations and Corrective Actions implementation through rigorous follow-up of actions and other interventions, identified from time to time
- Ensure an effective management of contractors and visitors at all integrated business units through compliance to safety norms
- Ensure preparedness of emergencies in terms of fire drills and mine rescue drills
- Promote a positive safety culture by promoting an interactive safety management system on all levels of employees
- Encourage continuous improvement of safety management by recognition awards for outstanding safety performance/contributions through identification of outstanding safety performance in groups and individuals
- Prevent work-related injuries and illnesses of employees and contractors as well as property damage incidents
- Benchmark our Health Management System against international standards with regard to the prevention, treatment and rehabilitation of disability and impairment, which may arise from the work place
- Undertake continuous on site monitoring of hazards that are, or could be, harmful to employees’ health and take preventive measures and refer those with occupational health ailments for further management
- Ensure 100% provision and use of appropriate personal protective equipment thus enhancing a positive health culture amongst employees
- Ensure that all identified hazards have a control procedure
- Carry out medical surveillance on all employees through pre employment, periodical and exit assessments
- Implement the wellness program to all employees through provision of health information, education, counselling services and standard health practices
- Adhere to statutory demands with regard to medical surveillance, hazard identification and control, compensation for those affected and first aid provisions
- Provide first aid training and facilities beyond the mere statutory requirement
- Identify and implement training needs for occupational health staff and employees to ensure they have the competence to meet their daily task demands
- Conserve environmental resources
- Prevent or minimize adverse impacts arising from our operations
- Demonstrate active stewardship of land, biodiversity and prevention of global warming
- Use proven technologies in our operations, processes and future expansions to attain world class environmental standards
- Achieve compliance to all applicable environmental regulations as enshrined in the Environmental Protection and Pollution Control (Amended) Act, No.12 of 1999 and the Mines and Minerals (Environmental) Regulations S.I. No. 29 of 1997
- Obtain ISO 14001 certification for Smelting and Refinery facilities and Nchanga Integrated Business Units by implementing the Environmental Management System and maintaining continued certification of Konkola and Nampundwe Integrated Business Units through Implementation of the ISO14001 Environmental Management Systems Standard
- Identify training needs and conduct awareness/training to employees and contractors on environmental aspects and impacts
- Ensure full compliance to the Environmental Management Plan (EMP) commitments through monitoring and compliance tracking at all Integrated Business Units
- Undertake monthly reviews to ensure compliance with the policy and the continual improvement in our environmental performance
- Attain zero discharge on effluent release to the environment for Nchanga IBU
- Ensure that all critical and major products and services supplied meet the requirements of a quality management system standard compatible to BS EN ISO 9001:2008
- Focus on developing and maintaining international market competitiveness as a world-class business, producing and supplying quality products, while complying with all relevant national and international statutory and regulatory requirements
- Establish a working environment that encourages employees to have an unqualified commitment to the philosophy of “get it right first time” so as to add value to the overall performance of the company
- Implementation of the BS EN ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management Systems Standard at Nchanga Concentrator, Konkola Concentrator, TLP and Human Resources, and maintenance of continued certification in the 22 KCM certified sites
- Identification of training needs and fulfilment of scheduled training programs so as to ensure that jobs that affect the quality of the product are performed by appropriately qualified personnel
- Implementation of 5S in all KCM operations as a strategy for improving performance
- Obtaining Listing of Kabundi Copper Cathode (KBC) on the London Metal Exchange (LME)
- Satisfaction of customer requirements by reducing quality complaints to below seven
- Ensure management review of the quality management system twice per annum
Senior Executives, line management and all employees are accountable for Safety, Occupational health, Environmental and Quality issues.
Management shall allocate adequate financial and human resources to ensure that these issues are dealt with in a manner that reflect their high priority.
Management will ensure that the work force has the appropriate skills, competence and safety knowledge to undertake their duties in a responsible and safe manner.
Management shall ensure identification, assessment and prioritisation of the hazards and risks associated with all operational activities on a continuous basis as well as when a major incident or a change occurs.
Management shall ensure identification, assessment and prioritisation of aspects and impacts associated with all operational activities on a continuous basis.
Management shall ensure that the organisation meets all applicable laws and regulations as a minimum and where appropriate, apply international best practice
Management shall ensure that reviews are conducted to assess the effectiveness of performance against company standards, objectives, targets and applicable legal requirements.
Promote and maintain open constructive dialogue and good working relations with employees, local communities, regulatory agencies, business organizations and other affected and interested parties.
Management will identify and implement continous improvement strategies in safety, health, environment and quality.
Management shall ensure provision of free health care benefits for all employees and their dependants at the company`s hospitals. It will also provide medical services to surrounding communities on a marginal cost recovery basis.
Management will ensure this policy is communicated to all employees, contractors and other stakeholders and be reviewed annually to reflect our commitment to high standards of Safety, Health, Environment and Quality.